Josh Heit's blog

     

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

 
Joe Millionaire: The Fallout: Let me say first, I'm happy for Evan and Zora. They did deserve to be with other, as they were kindred spirits. So, I'm not blaming any of my anger towards this ending on them.

The blame is 100% FOX's. That was the most BLATANT editing job ever. It was so blatant, I figured it out last month. As if that wasn't enough, in the "Secrets" show, they pumped the editing up to another level, showing the giant "fairytale" montage (what was that, 30 times they said it?), Sarah in the fast car, looking all moneyed and sluttish (and of course, the foot fetish -- sidenote: what was with the "simulated images"? They were too cheap to pay for the Smoking Gun pictures or the IFilm video?). And then Zora. Old people. Little kids. The mayor. Old house. And the final shot, Zora...holding a white kitten...with a floral border. And 57% of the people they polled still thought Evan was going to pick Sarah. Morons (Yes, I know, they couldn't see the "Secrets" show, but it was still there last month!).
And then there was the "shocking twist". Right out of the Mark Burnett school of false advertising. The whole appeal of the show has been to watch the gold-diggers get theirs, and later, shifting to shafting Evan too. Call me cruel, but this show promised cruelty, and I WANTED CRUELTY. Audience cruelty, preferably, as I still thought the whole thing was fake (Note: I still think the whole thing is scripted, and the audience will find that out next week). Instead, they pull out the most obvious twist ever, something thought of weeks ago, and discarded because it wasn't cruel enough. Obvious, there was an element of cruelty possible, because I'd assume if Zora rejected Evan, the whole million would go to Evan. Still, I would have preferred some sort of Monty Hall-esque offer, as per "Evan...or $1 million?" -- before Zora chose to stay with Evan. The twist was sweet, and heartwarming. NOT SHOCKING.

As to not end this on a negative note, let me say that the Evan/Zora choice scene was pretty good drama. Since I was absolutely convinced of my editing theory, and my roommate favored Sarah (namely for the big tits), I was watching my position go right down the drain...part of my brain still was thinking that this was a clever buildup to choosing Zora, but otherwise I figured he'd gone for Sarah. And then...vindicated! So for those 5 minutes of 2 hours, nice job by FOX. That and the evil stepsisters scene where they bust on Evan, with more wonderful captions.

But, yes, I will be watching Joe Millionaire: The Aftermath. Mainly, so that I can be vindicated again when they say the whole show was scripted for the happy ending. At least, I hope that's what they say.

|

Theme? We don't need no stinkin' theme!

Emails and such to josh dot heit at gmail dot com.

Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Animated GIF: Free 

Iraq

My Other Blog

Nationals Review

Internet Communities I'm Active In

Baseball Think Factory
Television Without Pity

News Bloggers

The Command Post
Instapundit
Daniel Drezner
Mickey Kaus
Josh Marshall
Red State
Jeff Jarvis

Culture Bloggers

A Small Victory
Rachel Lucas
Tim Blair

TVGasm
Reality Blurred
Defamer
Snarkmarket

The DC Scene

DCist
Wonkette
Kelly Ann Collins
Vividblurry

Sporting MSM

Bill Simmons
Peter King
Eric Neel
Tony Kornheiser

Sports Bloggers

The Hardball Times
Off Wing Opinion
Baseball Crank
Ken Pomeroy
Baseball Toaster

Aaron Gleeman
Replacement Level Yankee Blog
MetsGeek
USS Mariner
Capitol Punishment

Humor Sites

Homestar Runner
ScrappleFace
Yard Work

Friends, Frivolities, Remainders

FARK
Paul Katcher
Not Quite Wrong
Shwa Music
Shabot 6000
Hon, interrupted
IFOC Deadpool