Josh Heit's blog

     

Monday, May 05, 2003

 
Today's rant: Happy Monday. Heading out tomorrow, but expect the official new format within the week. The way I'm looking at it is the links of the day, plus a short rant, with longer essays interspersed when I get a chance.

Today's site link: Meryl Yourish. I'm trying to get people's sites that I visit sometimes, but not always.

Today's post link: Steven den Beste discusses blogrolls. Mine's pretty short, all things considered. I'll put on there who I read everyday. It expands with my reading, and every one in a while I'll pare it down. Seeing as not many people know my site except for people who know me, my list is a way for me to get to the stuff I read pretty easily, and the stuff I think is the most worthwhile. I've got most of the major sites (Instapundit, Lileks, den Beste) on there, but also some minor sites (Josh Kraushaar and Phil Kahn, because they're AU, and also guys like Aubrey Turner and Donald Luskin, who are pretty interesting).

Today's rant:
Oliver Willis links to a Daily Show clip of a debate between President Bush and Candidate Bush. It's actually pretty funny. And the point it drives home is obviously that Bush's foreign policy isn't in line with what he promised as president. Of course, this kind of argument is a bunch of hooey. After 9/11, it's obvious that Bush and his advisors (the amount of emphasis placed on this factor varies depending on who you ask) reworked their foreign policy to include the reality which had existed for years (Khobar Towers, first WTC bombing, embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, USS Cole). And besides, most presidents are attacked on not keeping their promises, they're politicians. But that's not necessarily a bad thing in itself.
Take FDR (we're going to take him because that's an example I've got a grasp on). 1932 Nomination speech: "I propose to you, my friends, and through you, that Government of all kinds, big and little, be made solvent and that the example be set by the President of the United States and his Cabinet." Instead, Roosefvelt increased federal spending and created deficits (Keynesian economics). When Roosevelt tried to fulfill this promise in his second term, he got recession. No one's going to argue against the New Deal today, but it was certainly a break from Roosevelt's 1932 rhetoric. Bold presidents often change their minds.

|

Theme? We don't need no stinkin' theme!

Emails and such to josh dot heit at gmail dot com.

Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Animated GIF: Free 

Iraq

My Other Blog

Nationals Review

Internet Communities I'm Active In

Baseball Think Factory
Television Without Pity

News Bloggers

The Command Post
Instapundit
Daniel Drezner
Mickey Kaus
Josh Marshall
Red State
Jeff Jarvis

Culture Bloggers

A Small Victory
Rachel Lucas
Tim Blair

TVGasm
Reality Blurred
Defamer
Snarkmarket

The DC Scene

DCist
Wonkette
Kelly Ann Collins
Vividblurry

Sporting MSM

Bill Simmons
Peter King
Eric Neel
Tony Kornheiser

Sports Bloggers

The Hardball Times
Off Wing Opinion
Baseball Crank
Ken Pomeroy
Baseball Toaster

Aaron Gleeman
Replacement Level Yankee Blog
MetsGeek
USS Mariner
Capitol Punishment

Humor Sites

Homestar Runner
ScrappleFace
Yard Work

Friends, Frivolities, Remainders

FARK
Paul Katcher
Not Quite Wrong
Shwa Music
Shabot 6000
Hon, interrupted
IFOC Deadpool